Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Why I view Education Like I do

In highschool I was a homeschooler following the ‘unschooler’ philosophy.  The unschooler philosophy means that I was encouraged to learn as much as I can about every single thing/idea that interests me.



This instilled my belief that education should be pleasurable and that every educational thing/assignment you do, you should do it with more than your %100 effort.  If I’m going to make a point of learning or studying something; I want to suck every ounce of knowledge I can possibly get out of it.  I have a strong belief that doing something half-assed or learning something by only route memory is frankly a waste of time, energy, and space in the part of the mind that controls memory (the Frontal Lobe).



My educational philosophy is summed up quite well by the Mark Twain “Don’t let schooling interfere with you’re education”; and it’s kind of my personal motto in general.



Therefore, I learn and study for the sole purpose of obtaining knowledge. Receiving good grades, although they a cool affirmation of how hard you worked, aren’t by any sense the object of education.  To me, the object of education is the inner self assurance that you know more about something that you did in the past.

No comments: